What should GP surgeries offer carers

Take part in research or give your opinion in a survey.
Sorry Purge, but the title isn't clear. Are we talking about what surgeries should offer carers in regards to our own health and needs, or in relation to our caree? Or both?
Hi Ladybird that is a good point what you asked there
I don't think doctors surgeries should offer carers anything at all, apart from comfy chairs, free wifi and a stack of National Geographics. Free coffee and tea would be very cool, though.
Scally, no mags any more, due to infection control!
Hi Scally
Be nice to walk into the surgery and have the chance of tea and coffee
Chance to say hello to other people in the committee
Monthly check ups
A coffee machine is a really good idea, because appointments are so delayed. Handled properly, it could also be a money spinner. Our surgery has a "friends" committee, might suggest it.
I think it is very important GPs understand the importance of involving the carer in any decisions or treatment plans and talking in plain English , so being able to communicate at different levels, also giving enough information without overdoing the technical side, but being willing to go into more depth when questions are asked. Open honest communication and using appropriate point of contact. Provision of leaflets to other support organisations in the waiting room and permitting carers to have appropriate contact numbers.
I wasted loads of time frequently dialing 111 before I got hold of the magic number for contact D/Ns out of hours. Being able to offer flexible appointment times for carers who also work along side caring.
ladybird wrote:Sorry Purge, but the title isn't clear. Are we talking about what surgeries should offer carers in regards to our own health and needs, or in relation to our caree? Or both?
Hello Ladybird,

I guess I should have made it clear from the start.

Anyway I think the main point is "identifying carers" within the realm of

1) Are there any carer leads or those that deal with carers at the surgery (depending on resources and staff)
2) Do they keep a carers register?
3) Do they have leaflets regarding carers or a carers notice board (especially up to date)
4) If they have a Participation group, do they have a carer on board?
5) Who do they refer carers to?
6) Do they have a carers policy anywhere?
7) Whats the status regarding carers health checks e.g. physical and mental.

I doubt I ll bombard the surgeries, but when I started some research 2 years ago, most practice managers were willing to chat. I also checked a few things with RCGP, regarding GP carer champions, but it seems that campaign ended March 2015.

Anyway, its always good to ask fellow carers for their views. Anyone else would like to add anything?