Carers Northern Ireland is a charity set up to support people who care for an elderly relative, a sick friend or a disabled family member. We are part of Carers UK.
Carers Northern Ireland:
- supports carers and provides information and advice about caring
- influences policy through our research based on carers’ real life experiences
- campaigns to make life better for carers.
When caring affects you and your family Carers Northern Ireland is here to provide the support and advice you need.
We help carers:
- get the best for the person they care for
- make the most of their income
- stay in paid work
- juggle their busy lives
- keep healthy
- find a listening ear
- campaign for change.
The work of Carers Northern Ireland involves:
- Operating an information service for carers and professionals, dealing with a range of issues such as carers' benefits, community care and services for carers.
- Providing a wide range of leaflets and booklets and a regular newsletter for carers, members and professionals.
- Offering carers the chance to meet with other carers, share experiences and reduce the feeling of isolation that carers often feel through local branches and groups.
- Helping new and existing carers groups.
- Raising awareness of the role of carers and informing government and policy makers of their needs.
- Helping carers make their own voices heard where it counts.
- Providing training to workers in the voluntary and statutory sector on carers' issues and carers assessments.
- Providing training on The Carers and Direct Payments Act (Northern Ireland) 2002, in partnership with Health and Social Services Trusts
- Carers involvement, assertiveness and media training to help carers become more involved in advocating for their rights.
View Larger Map